Friday, November 13, 2009

Homemade Granola


I have been wanting to make Granola at home for a while now and I finally found a recipe that I could adjust so it would not have a ton of calories per serving. I adjusted this recipe (which looks delicious, but I could not consume it everyday).


My Version of Cinnamon Crunch Granola


8 Cups Rolled Oats .80

2 T Cinnamon

2 cups flaked Coconut (I used sweetened) .50

1/2 chopped Pecans .75 (guess - I buy a huge bag at Costco)

1 and 1/4 Cups Grape Nuts Cereal - I used Aldi's Nutty Nuggets (.20 - on sale for .89/box)

3/4 C Brown Sugar

1/2 C water

1/4 C Vegetable Oil

1/2 C Apple Juice

2 t vanilla


The brown sugar I buy in a huge bag at Costco, the Apple juice we have tons of and a lot of it was close to free, the veggie oil was close to free on a Buy _ Get _ sale at Jewel - So I am not going to add in the cost of those items.
For 12 cups of granola - or approx 24 - 1/2 Cup Servings, the total is $2.25 - not spectacular for cereal, but for cereal I know what is in it, I think its great!
For more frugal ideas, visit LifeAsMom!

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    I love granola and this one has two of my favorites coconut and pecans.
    You asked me if I had a chicken and dumplings recipe. Finally made it this weekend and posted it. I hope this works for you, it's different more like what we eat in the Southwest. I also have a more traditional recipe if you want that one. THANKS!!! for visiting my blog, come by anytime and happy to share my recipe. Just ask and if I have one will be happy to share.
    HAPPY!!! THANKSGIVING filled with Lots of LOVE!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete